Sunday, September 21, 2008

GIMP the Weekened Away

In an effort to design some customer stickers for my laptop, I started tricking out GIMP this weekend. Basically, I just went to DeviantArt, searched for "GIMP" and loaded anything that looked interesting. There's plenty of other links, including the GIMP Plug-In Registry, blogs like hawksmont universe (for the really awesome brushes) and help forums like those at GIMPTalk (the also have a great "Resources" sub-forum).

While I didn't make much progress with my laptop sticker design, I did manage to get some pretty cool wallpapers made. Credit of course goes to the people who actually produced the brushes, patterns, etc. Their stuff made using some of the better features of GIMP very easy and fun for me.
Teaser:
I call this one "Antiquing". To make it I used brushes from several different sets and this really great pattern from here.
10 more wallpapers in full post.

Now, I'm not usually one for orange but I really, like how this one turned out...

I used the rather interesting "Glass Bottles" and "Labels" brushes to do this one. It's called "Olde Laboratory".
I definitely think I'll be doing more like this in the future.

Ok, not everything I tried turned out. For instance, although I'm happy with the purple wallpapers using other colors (see below), the straight-up purple ones really didn't turn out. This was the better one and, I don't know, it just doesn't work somehow...

Here's purple done well. This was the closest I could get to a OK-looking asian-themed wallpaper. I got tons of brushes from the various sites but few things beat the simplicity of blossoms & branches.
This is a green tentacled wallpaper. While I used the obvious curls & swirls, there actually are tentacle brushes. Not to mention some nice gradient brushes used here also.
What geek wallpaper collection would be complete without fractals? Thanks to this collection of brushes.
Ok, these last three I think are the best of the bunch. We have another green curly wallpaper. I don't know if I'm just liking the yellow better over the brown but I prefer this to the green tentacle one. Lots of swirls and curls used here.
I really really wanted to do something with plants but, man, they aren't easy to layout in a way that doesn't look stupid. It took several tries for me to get a plant wallpaper I could stand. But I'm quite happy with the final result. I'm pretty sure I used only foliage brushes from this set (which is a very good collection).

OK, this one is my favorite and it was an absolute blast to make. I used mainly this collection of bubbles brushes and a collection called "So 60s Circles Sequel".

So, what do you think?

No comments: