Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Movie Review: “Iron Man”

Go see “Iron Man”.

Because it’s just about the most perfectly made action / superhero movie in a LONG time. Robert Downey Jr. is so utterly fantastic in the role that I can’t comprehend how no one thought to cast him as an action hero before. I absolutely adore the fact this movie is first and foremost about a creator taking both responsibility and control of his creations. Some of the best lines in the film revolve around this idea. Gwyneth Paltrow is also quite good as Pepper Potts, a female sidekick who while dedicated isn’t a doormat.

Not to mention the shockingly (and sadly) refreshing fact that the evil terrorists in this movie were actual realistic terrorists. I feel Jon Favearu used a very even hand in directing this movie. It doesn’t try to tell you what to think about certain things. He apparently trusts his audience to both accept his vision and to use their own judgment as to its meaning. In addition to all these obvious points, there were awesome touches sprinkled throughout the film. If I have to pick out the best things:
(1) Stark’s “test videos” for his suit are hilarious
(2) The fact that you’re able to follow the fast-paced battle scenes (good editing)
(3) The homeland security agent and agency name. Mr. Coulson with three scenes managed to be competent, low-key and likable. And the agency itself hints at certain great things to come.

Click on full post for my favorite lines (since these are slightly spoilerish, I’m putting them below the cut):

Engineer: Yes, see to power the suit... sir, the technology doesn't actually exist. So it...
Obadiah Stane: Wait, wait, the technology? Here is the technology. I've asked you to simply make it smaller.
Engineer: Okay, sir, that's what we've been trying to do but honestly, it's impossible.
Obadiah Stane: [yelling] Tony Stark was able to build this in a cave! With a box of scraps!
Engineer: Well, I'm sorry. I'm not Tony Stark.

(Pointing to a robot assigned with firefighting duties)
Stark: If you douse me again, and I'm not on fire, I'm donating you to a city college.

Obadiah: You really think that just because you have an idea, it belongs to you?

I didn't discuss this in the main article because it has to do with the scene after the credits. Whosoever got Samuel L. Jackson to play Nick Fury deserves a bonus. Considering what I've managed to dig up on the character, well, I'm deeply excited for "Iron Man 2".

No comments: