Monday, October 8, 2007

Monday Links-Of-Wonder!

Disclaimer: This post was generated while listening to The Cult's “High Octane Cult”. I have no idea what it's done to me.

1) Lost Archimedes Works Found In Re-Used Pages of Medieval Prayer Book. AND these recovered works hint that Archimedes was laying the early groundwork for calculus. And by early, I mean, 2000 years early! There's a book out Nov 1st called “The Archimedes Codex” which describes both the effort to recover the texts and the mathematical importance of what was found. I'm definitely adding it to my “To-Read” list. Fascinating.

2) Using LOL Cat Posters to reveal Deep Secrets. I don't know what to think of this. The Internet does some strange things to social interaction doesn't it? Few of these are funny. Most are quite sad. I guess it's good these people have some way to vent.

3) Underwater Robots “Buzzed” By Sperm Whales. Part One. Part Two. Apparently Sperm whales have been getting a bit curious about all these mechanical interlopers.

4) The 9 Manliest Names in the World. What makes it comedy gold is that they placed a founder of Quantum Physics and a NASA scientist on a list that includes Magnus ver Magnusson. Also, there's someone in the US Navy named COMMANDER FLEX PLEXICO! I love my country.

No comments: