Thursday, August 9, 2007

Recent Reading

1) Saving Capitalism From The Capitalists by Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales: Fantastic read. The authors have managed to write an excellent defense of globalization of capital without drowning the reader in charts and graphs. They make excellent use of the broad strokes of the last century as well as specific examples. I thought it was very interesting that historically big companies and organizations manipulated through legal and political means the rhetoric of "protect the little guy" to protect themselves and in the long run hurting the overall economy.

2) The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams: The second of the Dirk Gently stories, this is a wonderfully off-beat read. Having discovered Douglas Adams through the Hitchhiker's guide series, the Dirk Gently character is much lower-key than I initially expected. Although, he still manages to be completely mad. The ending is a bit jarring but still really good.

Although I have 12 books in my "To Read" pile, I really, really want to buy this one. I mean, you can't go wrong with zombies, right?

No comments: