Sunday, August 19, 2007

Messages to The Creator

The NYTimes recently ran an article on the theory that our universe could just be someone else's simulation. As a follow-up, they created this thread where you can post messages to the "Prime Designer". The best message wins a DVD or something.

Here's my 7 funny favorites:
10) “Dear Prime Designer, May I call you Primey?”
9) “Enough with the fractals everywhere. It’s a little too obvious.”
8) “Platypus: WHY?”
7) “Dear Great Overlord, Really loved the flowers. That was a nice touch."
6) “Please, I want to be a real boy.”
5) “Can you take your own name in vain or do you just say, 'Oh my me!'?”
4) “DON’T YOU DARE DRINK THAT AT THE KEYBOARD! I am NOT going out that way!”

And 3 more on a serious note:
3) “I know there’s no progress without cost. But cost without progress is obscene.“
2) “The equation, the equation that contains the mechanics of creation, are we even close? Newton gave it a stab, then Schrodinger, then Dirac, then a huge bunch of people with the Standard Model. I am stabbing at it now. Will I ever know?”

1) This was posted as a quote but I have no idea where from

“ 'He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature, and because of it, the greatest in the universe. He learned too late for himself that men have to find their own way, to make their own mistakes. There can’t be any gift of perfection from outside ourselves. When men seek such perfection they find only death, fire, loss, disillusionment and the end of everything that’s gone forward. Men have always sought an end to our misery but it can’t be given, it has to be achieved. There is hope, but it has to come from inside, from Man himself.' ”
(sigh) Humans, we really are a wondrous sometimes.

Go check out the thread because there tons more humor and food for thought on Man's place in the cosmos. Very amusing and cool stuff.

No comments: