Thursday, December 20, 2007

Recent Reading: Mayer Alan Brenner

Earlier in the year, I checked out “Spell of Catastrophe” by Mayer Alan Brenner. Well, I finally got around to reading the other books in the series, “Spell of Intrigue”, “Spell of Fate” and “Spell of Apocalypse”. Short Version: Whoa.

Every good thing about the previous book is compounded in the other three. The characters are all present, added on to with others and expanded quite enjoyably (Note: Z.Shaa is still awesome). Also, relating to the crises at hand the books reveal an interesting twist on this particular magical world. I won’t give it away but it’s good and in keeping with the techno-magical sensibility cultivated by the first book. The plot had several twists, u-turns and switchbacks only one of which I guessed correctly (but that one was heavily hinted at). I don't know if I'll do it soon but I think I want to re-read this series to see if there were any hints I missed the first time around. These three books were all a good, witty, fast-paced read whose only serious fault is the abrupt ending. I’m not quite sure why the author chose that particular way to close out the final book. But I found it a bit unsatisfying after all the build up. Still, I’d recommend these books for anyone that likes Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams; there’s definitely a similar sense of humor in play.

You can find all four books in the series here.

No comments: