Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Krav Maga - Yoga Class

Last night, I drove through the fog to attend my first KM Yoga class since Thanksgiving. With the holidays (and associated eating), I decided to start attending two KM classes (Yoga and Strength/Cardio). Yesterday's class was great but one thing has really struck me about these yoga sessions.

In the past, I’ve purchased yoga DVDs. My thinking was that I’m not really a gym person and know I’m more likely to complete the exercises if I can do them at home. However, the yoga DVDs never held my interest. Even though some of the same positions are covered, I find the classes much better.

The instructor is very conscientious about provided multiple versions of the same pose to accommodate different body types and levels of flexibility. Before, after and during the sessions she asks about any discomfort or pain. For a couple of others she’s spent a few extra minutes going over corrections to their form to avoid pain and provided some additional guidance. Also, she goes around the room, pushing on us to go further than we would go alone. There have been several times she’s started correcting my position or “challenging my body”. At first I sort of tensed up expecting it to hurt. But I usually end up bending further and more completely than I thought I could.

Little things like these are making these yoga sessions a great deal more rewarding than I expected....

1 comment:

David Chen said...

Hi Jessica,

Just wanted to say thanks for stopping by my blog (about bioshock and the incredible) and for leaving your thoughtful comments.

Feel free to visit again, and I'll do the same for you.

-David