Monday, June 11, 2007

What I Did With My Weekend

Watched a heck of a lot of TV......

“Starter Wife” on USA: Every now & again I force myself to watch a non-sci-fi show just to spread my wings a little. This is how I discovered “Bones”*, and the now deservedly defunct “Veronica Mars”. Occasionally, I’m left highly unimpressed (I’m looking at you “Grey’s Anatomy”!). The “Starter Wife” is in the middle ground between those two. The two-hour pilot had some very funny, touching and scathingly cynical moments. Debra Messing plays the main character understated but quite well as a woman who both knows exactly what’s going on and is completely baffled by it. In a fine use of both overseas and sci-fi talent, it has both Miranda Otto & Gigi Edgley in the supporting cast. You may remember them from the last two “LOTR” movies and “Farscape”, respectively.

Also viewed this weekend:
“My Super Ex-Girlfriend” : Pretty funny movie. I’m surprised it didn’t do better in its original release. Fast-paced, good action sequences (best use of stunt shark since "Jaws"). Uma Thurman was outrageously funny in this. Luke Wilson played the regular Joe love-interest in a very likable way. Also, any movie with Eddie Izzard playing a super-nemesis is must-see.

“The Devil Wears Prada” : Excellent. I never read the book but there were many things I liked about this movie. It manages to walk a fine line between critique and show-casing. The characters Nigel, Emily & even the Dragon-Lady herself all convey (completely correctly I think) the actual, valid work of creating modern fashion. This contrasts well with Anne Hatheway’s character who is not very likable in the beginning or middle of the movie. In the beginning she’s very condescending (although that is reciprocated wholly) and in the middle she’s hypocritical and self-righteous. But, the pay-off’s worth it. For nothing else, you need to see this movie for Meryl Streep’s performance as Miranda Priestley. I do not usually like her work but here, completely mesmerizing. Best almost two hours I’ve spent in a long time.

Spurs Game Last Night: MY JINX IS BROKEN! I went over to a friend's to watch the game and they actually ended up winning. Discovered Watermelon Martinis in the process.

*I only provide links to shows/movies that do not currently suck.

No comments: