Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Don't Mess With Old People: Redux

While I’m always happy to know our nation’s elderly continuing to be productive & useful members of society, this quote is disheartening:

"I had looked around the plane for help, and all the younger guys had averted their eyes. When I asked the guy next to me if he was up to it, all he said was, 'Retired captain. USMC.' I said, 'You'll do,' " Hayden recalled. "So, basically, a couple of grandfathers took care of the situation." (emphasis mine)

Young men of America (or at least the Minneapolis-Boston corridor), you’re not looking good here.

The wife of the retired cop also had an absolutely awesome attitude:

"The woman sitting in front of us was very upset and asked me how I could just sit there reading," Katie Hayden said. "Bob's been shot at. He's been stabbed. He's taken knives away. He knows how to handle those situations. I figured he would go up there and step on somebody's neck, and that would be the end of it. I knew how that situation would end. I didn't know how the book would end."

I can only hope that if I am ever in a similar situation, there’s plenty of retired military around to talk me through it. Since I live in San Antonio with it's plethora of military bases, that’s probably a good bet.

No comments: